Saturday, March 6, 2010

Who Really Decides What it Means to be Barbaric?

And we have now finished the final week before an exam... Is it just me or does time really fly by? Before we know it, it will be midterms... That's a scary thought.

But on to literature.... I'm very glad that we are getting into more works by early African American writers, particularily those that discuss slavery. I really enjoyed Olaudah Equiano's selection from "Narrative of the Life." It was absolutely horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

I thought it was quite comical how in the beginning when Equiano was captured and taken onto a ship run by white people, he was afraid they were going to eat him. He frequently called them "barbaric" in fact, which I find very ironic. The "white" perspective of African's was that they were barbaric, uncivilized, and untamed. But here we have a "black" perspective viewing the white man as the very same thing. And in this case, I think I would have to agree with Equiano. The white community did some very barbaric things in this time in history.

In class, we discussed the whole "American Dream" perspective and the difference between Franklin and Equiano's experiences. During the discussion, I couldn't help but be continually drawn to this line from Equiano:

This gave me new life and spirits: and my heart burned within me, while I thought the time long till I obtained my freedom (pg. 173).

I think that line alone sums up the difference between the two. Franklin, though he was the youngest, was fortunate enough to be born into a white family, which gave him the opportunity to pursue just about anything he chose with some, but very little, restraint. And even more so, he DID just that! Meanwhile, Equiano's "American Dream" is for his freedom alone! What an amazing thought! I know I take for granted the fact that I am a free person, that I can go to school, chose a career, follow the life path of our own desire, do what I want. To read a story such as Equiano's can be a humbling experience. It reminds me of how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment