Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hypocrisy

Whenever I pick up the The Scarlet Letter I can't help but notice the major theme of hypocrisy. It is everywhere - all these people passing judgement on Hester for her sin, when they have committed the same sin, or even worse! They are incredibly misled.

I find it interesting that the Puritan society was considered to be so religious and pious, yet they don't practice one of the biggest messages of the Bible - forgiveness. Rather than forgiving Hester of her sin, accepting her as a flawed human being (as we all are), and showing her the love of Jesus, the shun her, push her away for society, and use her as an example of what happens to those who sin. Sick!

I can't help but wonder how Hester felt towards Dimmsdale during all of this time. She holds a dark secret above him and could easily tear his world apart. Yet, she loves him and because of that, she keeps his secret. But 7 years is a long time, and I think if I were Hester, I'd lose that feeling of love and it would quickly turn to anger and frustration. Why should Hester have to go through it alone, when he is just as responsible? And yet society loves him, considers him a wonderful and pious man, and use him as an example of how life should be lived.

Obviously, Dimmsdale suffers his part, though, which I think would relieve some of the anger and frustration. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Hester for coming out as the better, stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment