Sunday, May 9, 2010

Burst Agonized and Clear

Emily Dickinson has been, rightfully, given the title as a leader in American Poetry. She writes with a very eloquent hand, leaving the reader with nothing but admiration on finishing a poem. I appreciate how deep her poetry is. It's even more amazing how short her poetry can be but still be loaded with meaning.

I typically am not one who enjoys dissecting poetry. Most often I like think poetry is like music, it's meant to be spoken. And, like music, while there still some meaning to it, it's often only after the 3rd or 4th time of hearing it the meaning clicks. But with Dickinson, I can't wait to dig in and find what she is trying to say. I enjoy how some of it is blatantly obvious, but many times it's often symbolic too.

Her poem titled 67 seems to represent a story of struggle and triumph, even if that triumph results in death. I particularly like the line that says,

"As he defeated - dying -
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear!"

To me, this poem seems to suggest the struggles of a war. In the first stanza she discusses how success is greatest for those who never have it. "To comprehend a nectar/Requires sorest need." She seems to be comparing the desire to succeed to that of food. It reminds me of when a person who is hungry eats compared to one who is not hungry but eats anyway. The one who is starving is much more likely to enjoy the food than the one who is full.

The second stanza talks about the "purple Host," flags, and victory. All of these images seem to remind me of a battle scene. And, of course, the last stanza (as written above) makes me think of a soldier who has fallen but is still able to witness cheers of triumph as he sees his country succeed.

I'm sure there are many different interpretations to this poem. But i think that's the real beauty about poetry. It's like art - open to the interpretation of the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment