Saturday, May 1, 2010

An Idealization of It All

Overall, I though Uncle Tom's Cabin was fabulous. I thought Stowe did a great job of displaying the hardships of slavery and the view point of an African American, while still portraying white American's with some sympathy also.

The one part that really bothered me, however, was the over idealized ending. What are the chances that all these separated families would just happen to meet on the same train? The realistic qualities tend to fall short at this point in the novel. It is almost as if she throws it in just to redeem the negative aspects throughout the whole book.

I think my favorite part of the novel was Tom's astounding faith. This is man who has absolutely no reason to have such an everlasting faith in God, and yet he continues to love Him with his whole heart. Of course, there are moments in which his faith falters a bit, yet he is always returns. I know I could definitely learn from Tom. His experience reminds me that it is in the times of that we are in our lowest that we are closest to God. This can definitely be displayed through Tom's life.

I can definitely see why Uncle Tom's Cabin would have had an impact at the time of its publication and I can most definitely see why it is a classic novel. Hats off to you, Ms. Stowe.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your position on the idealization of the ending. I also, kind of, like it. If one sees how divided families were, then it feels nice that some of them were able to come together. I don't find it realistic that they all found their lost loved ones, but some of them should.

    I think it also gives hope to some of the white Northern readers. Something along the lines of: if we help them and stand up for what is right, then they have a chance at a 'normal' life surrounded by those they love.

    ReplyDelete